Posted on: January 31, 2018
Shepherd's Pie is a warm and savory comfort food that has been a staple in country homes for decades. To make the dish perfect for Blood Types A and AB, we use turkey in lieu of the traditional ground beef, a lean, healthy meat for these types. We also eschew the potato and put in its place a smooth, velvety cauliflower seasoned with garlic. This customized dish for Types A and AB is sure to give everyone a warm, soothing feeling on those cold winter nights.
- 2 ½ teaspoons olive oil, divided use
- 3 cloves garlic, divided use
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 6 tablespoons soy or goat milk*
- 1 lb ground lean organic turkey
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons spelt or oat flour
- 1 ½ cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
*Soy milk is an avoid for Type AB non-secretors, while goat's milk is an avoid for Type A non-secretors. Substitute with a milk Right 4 Your Type.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon olive oil over two cloves of garlic and season with sea salt. Wrap garlic in parchment paper and then tin foil, so the foil is fully covering the seasoned garlic. Roast in a toaster oven or regular oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- While the garlic roasts, dice cauliflower in bite-sized pieces, and place in a large stock pot full of water and bring to a boil. Cook about 12-15 minutes, just until tender, drain, and place back into the emptied pot. Using a hand mixer, beat cauliflower with roasted garlic, sage, ghee, and milk. Season with sea salt to taste.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground turkey with remaining olive oil. Break turkey into bits using a flat-ended spatula. Once browned, add paprika and flour, stirring to coat. Add Vegetable Stock, and bring to a bubble to help the sauce thicken. Reduce the heat, and let cook for at most 5 minutes.
- Add onions, peas, and carrots to the turkey and stir to combine. Pour into a large 9" x 11" baking dish, top with cauliflower mixture, spreading evenly across the top with an offset spatula. Finally, sprinkle on cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes.
The pie will be bubbling and the cheese melted and slightly browned when done.