Sweet, plentiful and versatile, strawberries are one of the most popular fruits for a reason. They are practically desserts all on their own! One of the most simple and tasty ways to enjoy these vibrant berries is to prepare them as a salad. They already are bright on the palette, but the addition of other strong, tangy flavors, such as lemon and basil, truly brings out the best in the berries. Topping this all off with agave or maple syrup gives the dish a sweet finish that is hard to beat. This recipe is not only Right 4 All Types, but one of the simplest and quickest ways to enjoy strawberries perfectly on a hot summer day.
[ Serves 2-3 People]
- 2 Cups of fresh organic strawberries*
- 2 Tablespoons of grade A maple syrup**
- 6 Fresh large basil leaves
- Zest of ¼ lemon
*Type O non-secretor substitute strawberries with fresh raspberries
**Type AB & O non-secretor substitute maple syrup with agave syrup
- Wash the strawberries by soaking them in a large bowl of cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and dry well.
- Cut off the stems and leaves from the tops, and quarter them lengthwise. Place them in a large bowl.
- Add the maple syrup over the strawberries and mix well. Set aside.
- Finely slice the basil leaves and zest the lemon. Add the basil and lemon to the strawberries and mix well.
- Allow the strawberries to rest 30 minutes so they release their juice.