By the time you feel the tickle in your throat, it might already be too late.
Once you can sense cold symptoms brewing, that illness is (unfortunately) still going to arrive, hastily gulped orange juice notwithstanding. As much as we wish it could, vitamin C alone can’t work miracles.
So how should you maintain health? Be proactive about your protection. Build up your immune system when healthy, so you’ll be prepared to weather flu season before it hits. The tips below are right for all blood types.
5 Ways to Help Boost Immunity
- Sleep tight. The CDC recommends 9-12 hours per night for children, 8-10 for teens, and at least 7 for adults. Aside from restoring energy, sufficient sleep helps maintain your supply of T-cells, key immune defenders that recognize and target pathogens to keep your body strong.
- Don’t forget to relax. Long-term elevated levels of cortisol, the “stress hormone,” can suppress proper immune function. As Dr. D’Adamo reported in Eat Right 4 Your Type, chronic stress can also contribute to heart disease and cancer. Sparing ten minutes a day for deep breathing or meditation can soothe the mind and strengthen the body. Deliberate relaxation is particularly important for Blood Type As.
- Go Probiotic. Fitting beneficial bacteria into your diet can reduce the risk of respiratory and gastrointestinal infection. As an added bonus, probiotics also aid the overall digestion and absorption of nutrients, boosting optimal health at the molecular level. Low-sugar yogurt and other fermented foods are great sources of active cultures. If you’re looking for extra support in supplement form, try our Polyflora caps (O, A, B, AB).
- Add Antioxidants. Potent free radical fighters, vitamins C and E help build antibodies and other cellular defenses to keep your immune system robust. You can find vitamin C in most fruits and vegetables and vitamin E in most nuts and seeds. For more immune support, try Proberry 3 Liquid, a tangy syrup derived from blueberries, elderberries, cherries and raspberries. Perfect for sundaes, salads and everything in between.
- Follow Your BTD. Eating and exercising right for your blood type can help optimize overall health. Avoid harmful lectins, agglutinating food proteins, to maximize strength and build energy reserves.
Bonus Tip: Find The Best Supplements for Your Needs
In addition to following The Blood Type Diet with loads of beneficial foods, incorporate supplements made specifically for your blood type. You’re unique, and your nutrition should be, too. Already taking daily supplements? Dr. D’Adamo also created immunity-boosting formulas right 4 all types.
His latest formulation is ImmunoSynergy - a blend that harnesses the power of nature’s best immune-supportive botanicals and fuses them with science-backed synergists to ensure proper bioavailability. ImmunoSynergy includes Chinese Skullcap, probiotics and natural herbs. Click here to learn more.
Looking for immune support tips tailored specifically for children? Check out our article on boosting immunity for kids.