This recipe is tasty, comforting and versatile. it can be made with your preferred (or available) vegetables. Even old or frozen bread can be used, making it a great zero-waste recipe. Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
- Non-stick cooking spray (preferably one made from a right for your type oil)
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups quartered mushrooms (choose one right for your type)
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 6 cups torn kale
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tsp ghee
- Sea salt, to taste
- 8 cups (1-inch) bread cubes (check below for options)
- 1 cup almond milk*
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 large chicken eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup cheese (check below for options)
*Almond Milk is an Avoid for Type O non-secretors, substitute Rice Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9”x11” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (olive oil from a refillable oil mister would work well) and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and ghee over medium heat. Sauté onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and kale until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly golden brown. Toss in a large bowl with vegetables.
- Whisk together almond milk, stock, eggs, rosemary, sage and thyme. Pour over bread and vegetables and toss. Pour the entire mixture onto the baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake, covered for 35 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and slightly browned.
- Serve warm.
Convenient swaps for this recipe:
- Brown rice bread, millet bread for all types.
- Spelt or sprouted wheat for A, B & AB.
- Mushrooms (black trumpet, enoki, maitake, oyster, portobella, straw)
- Cooked squash
- Mozzarella (Avoid for Type O non-secretors)
- Pecorino for all types.