This simple and comforting soup can easily be prepared for all types. It makes for a nutritious meal when working from home! Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15-oz) northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup pine nuts*
**Blood type B (secretor and non-secretor) swap for chopped almonds or walnuts
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat, and sauté onion, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Trim woody stems off broccoli and discard. Rough chop broccoli.
- Add broccoli to the onions along with garlic, beans, stock, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender and easily pierced with a fork but not falling apart.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a stand blender. Soup should be thick and creamy, but easily run off a spoon. Add water or additional stock if you prefer a thinner consistency. Season with sea salt, to taste.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast pine nuts for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve soup hot, topped with toasted pine nuts.*
Convenient Swaps | Right 4 All Types:
Beans & Legumes:
Nuts & toppings: