Summer months are always a great time to barbecue! Moist and tender, these chicken thighs are a summer favorite, served with a BBQ sauce that is right for all types! Sauce is also great slathered on your favorite grilled veggies! Want an amazing side dish? Check out our Broccoli & Apple Slaw recipe! If you are Type B or AB we have a BBQ Lamb recipe, which is also right for Type O. Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
Ingredients for the chicken & marinade:
- 4 chicken thighs with skin*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- The zest and juice of a lemon or grapefruit
- 1 tbsp sea salt
*Chicken can be bone-in or boneless but cooking time may differ, pay attention to internal temperature to make sure it is fully cooked before consuming.
Ingredients for the BBQ sauce:
Yields about 1-1½ cup of sauce, use as much as needed and keep refrigerated up to a week.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 10 oz boiled beetroot
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp agave syrup, to taste
- 1½ tbsp blackstrap molasses
Instructions for the BBQ sauce:
- Warm the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the thyme, salt, paprika and beetroot. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Add the agave and stir. Add the molasses and mix well until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse until very smooth.
- Return the BBQ sauce to the pan and reduce down over medium-low heat for at least 15 minutes until enough moisture evaporates and the sauce starts to thicken, concentrating the flavors.
- Use thick, or loosen by adding water if needed.
- Reserve in a container, and refrigerate if needed for up to a week.
Instructions for the chicken:
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and coat the chicken evenly. Marinade in a closed container for 30 minutes up to 1 hour, refrigerated.
- Preheat the barbecue to 400ºF.
- Lightly oil the grill. Drain and place the chicken thighs skin side down on the grill.
- Allow the thighs to cook at least 6-10 minutes, until the fat renders and turns crispy and grill marks form. Reduce the heat of the barbecue to 300-350ºF.
- Spread some of the barbecue sauce evenly on the thighs and grill on the other side for 6-10 minutes or internal temperature reaches 165ºF. If preferred, BBQ sauce can be used on the side for dipping instead.
- Rest the thighs 5 minutes before serving and enjoy hot.