A personalized diet means indulging in favorites throughout the year that are actually super-beneficial for you. We love this broccoli & apple slaw with a tangy mustard dressing. Pairs great with our BBQ recipes; BBQ Lamb recipe for Types O, B and AB, or our BBQ Chicken Thighs recipe for Types A and O. Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
Ingredients for the slaw:
- 1 medium broccoli head, stem and florets separated
- 1 red apple*
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- The zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup cilantro or cilantro sprouts
- 1 tbsp sea salt
*Apples are an Avoid for Type O non-secretor, substitute pears.
Ingredients for the dressing:
Yields about 1-1½ cups of sauce, use as much as needed and keep refrigerated up to a week.
- 1 tbsp mustard powder + 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh apple juice*
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
*Apple juice is an Avoid for Type O non-secretor, use pear juice.
Instructions for the dressing:
- In a small bowl, prepare the mustard by mixing the mustard powder and water into a paste.
- Whisk in the olive oil, juice, garlic clove and salt and mix until combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. If desired, loosen the dressing with a little more olive oil.
- Reserve in a container, and refrigerate if needed for up to a week.
Instructions for the slaw:
- Grate or chop the broccoli stem into matchsticks. Reserve half of the florets and refrigerate the second half for use in another recipe.
- Core and quarter the apple or pear, slice thinly and mix in a bowl with the lemon zest and juice to avoid browning.
- Transfer the broccoli, fruit and lemon juice mixture and cilantro in a large bowl, add the dressing and mix well. Sprinkle the chia seeds over the slaw. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This post originally appeared in July, 2020.