Want a spooky appetizer or side dish for halloween? These spiced okra skewers, or "witches fingers," are the perfect creepy (yet delicious) treat! Guaranteed to both delight and satisfy, these skewers are a great excuse to use that grill again! Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
- 32 medium okra, fresh
- 8 short (4 to 5 inch) bamboo skewers
Ingredients for the dip:
- 2 tbsp agave
- ½ cup tamari*
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
*Tamari is an avoid for blood type O, instead substitute with 1 tbsp natural tomato paste + 1 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for the seasoning:
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 sheet of nori - or dried seaweed, finely chopped or ground
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- To prepare the okra, simply skewer 4 pieces together and reserve the 8 skewers on a plate.
- Preheat your (outdoor or indoor) grill to high. Lay the skewers flat and grill for 3 minutes on each side. To get nice grill marks, place and press down with a plate on top to weigh the skewers down for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To prepare the dip, simply mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small bowl.
- To prepare the seasoning, simply mix the ingredients together until combined.
- When the okra is cooked, plate and sprinkle seasoning on top.
- Enjoy warm!