Used in cooking since 600 b.c., turmeric is the root of a tropical plant in the same family as ginger. Though native to the Orient, this spice is now cultivated in India and the Caribbean as well. It has an earthy, slightly bitter flavor and an intense yellow-orange color. Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and a great addition to these simple puffed rice bars. Reminiscent of childhood treats, these puffed rice bars make for a fun snack that are still healthy and guilt-free!
Serves 4-6 people ]
- 6 cups unsweetened organic puffed rice
- ¾ cup honey (AB and O non secretor substitute with the same amount of agave)
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Mix the ghee with the turmeric until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix together the puffed rice, honey, dried cherries and turmeric-ghee mixture from step 1 with a spatula until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a 14x10 inch pan and spread evenly with the spatula.
- Place a baking sheet over the puffed rice mixture and flatten it with your hands to pack it firmly in the pan.
- Place the puffed rice pan in the freezer and freeze for two hours.
- Cut out the bars to your desired size; they will be ready to eat as soon as they leave the freezer!
TIPS, STORAGE & SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Keep the bars refrigerated.
- Bars can keep in the fridge for 3 days
- Try breaking the bars up and eating them as cereal in a bowl of almond milk.
- Blood types AB & O non-secretor should replace honey with agave syrup.