Posted on: January 31, 2018
Shepherd's Pie is a warm and savory comfort food that has been a staple in country homes for decades. To make the dish perfect for Blood Types O and B, we use ground beef, a meat that is especially suited to these types, and sweet potato for a rich, smooth flavor. It is sure to be that soothing, family pleasing dish you are looking for on a cold night.
- 2 ½ teaspoon olive oil, divided use
- 3 cloves garlic, divided use
- 4 cups sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 6 tablespoons almond milk (NS substitute rice milk)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (NS omit cheese)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon olive oil over two cloves of garlic, and season with sea salt. Wrap garlic in parchment paper, and then tin foil, roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the garlic roasts, peel, dice sweet potatoes in 2" pieces, and bring to a boil in a large stock pot filled with water. Cook about 12-15 minutes, just until tender. Potatoes are done when they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain into a colander, and transfer back into the empty pot or a clean bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat sweet potatoes with roasted garlic, sage, ghee and almond milk. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat with remaining olive oil. Break meat into bits using a flat ended spatula. Once browned, add paprika and flour, stirring to coat. Mince remaining clove of garlic, and add to the beef along with beef broth. Bring the mixture to a bubble to help the sauce thicken. Reduce the heat to low, and let cook for just 5 minutes.
- Add onions, peas, and carrots to the beef and stir to combine. Pour into a 9" x 11" baking dish, and top with sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly across the top with an offset spatula. Finally, sprinkle on cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes.
The pie will be bubbling and the cheese melted and slightly browned when done.