With spring fighting its way to the fore after a long and chilly winter, what better way to welcome the warmth than by making a treat with tropical flavor? This pineapple upside-down cake includes pineapple, of course, which is a natural decongestant for spring allergies, but it's also a sweet cake enhanced with a homemade salted caramel. This symphony of vibrant flavors is sure to be the perfect segue from decadent winter treats to lighter spring snacks.
- 6 oz ghee or mild olive oil
- 6 oz organic sugar*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds extracted from the pod**
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 oz ghee (plus a little extra for greasing)
- ¾ cup organic sugar*
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ vanilla pod, seeds extracted from the pod**
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt***
- 1 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 1" thick strips
*Sugar is an avoid for all non-secretors. Substitute with agave syrup.
**Vanilla is an avoid for Type O non-secretors. Please omit.
***Yogurt is an avoid for Type O non-secretors. Substitute with rice or almond yogurt.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Line a 9" round cake pan with parchment paper.
- To make the caramel, start by melting the ghee in a small saucepan over low heat with the sugar (or agave for non-secretors), salt and yogurt, stirring to combine for about 10 to 15 minutes. When the sugar has melted and the caramel forms, add the vanilla seeds and stir once. Transfer the caramel into the cake tin, making sure to coat the entire bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the pineapple strips in a single layer on top of the caramel, making sure they are well packed together.
- To make the batter of the cake, start by creaming the sugar with the olive oil / ghee on medium-high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer. When the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light and pale, add the eggs, vanilla seeds, followed by the flour, ground almonds and baking powder, until the batter becomes stiff and all ingredients are well combined.
- Place in the oven and bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to rest a few minutes, then place a serving plate over the tin and carefully flip over. Remove the tin and serve warm.