Craving something spicy? Mole is a Mexican staple and this sweet & spicy authentic recipe definitely is a crowd pleaser. Liven up your weeknight dinners with this Turkey Mole Drumsticks recipe! Find more nourishing recipes like this in Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right 4 Your Type Personalized Cookbooks.
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder*
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon**
- ¼ cup pureed pimento peppers
- 1 ½ cups vine ripened tomatoes, diced***
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp nut butter****
- 1 ounce 100% dark chocolate, shaved
- 3 turkey drumsticks or 2 turkey thighs
*Blood type A use 1 tsp paprika
**Cinnamon is an Avoid for blood type B secretor and non secretor and Type O non-secretor
***Tomatoes are an Avoid for blood type A secretor and B secretor
****Almond butter is OK for all types, blood types A & AB can use peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add cumin, sea salt, chili powder or paprika, and cinnamon. Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add tomatoes (if using), pimento purée, stock and almond butter; stir to combine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in chocolate, and transfer to a food processor. Puree until smooth. As an optional step, push the mole sauce through a strainer for a silk- smooth sauce.
- Set aside one-third of the sauce. Remove skin from turkey drumsticks and coat with remaining mole sauce. Place in a baking dish, cover and bake for 1-1 ½ hours, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm, topped with reserved mole sauce.