For Valentine’s Day, what better treat is there than chocolate? Break predictability by making your loved ones a homemade chocolate mousse in lieu of a box of chocolates. This soul-warming recipe is suitable for all blood types. Customize with cocoa nibs, candied ginger, seeds or a simple dusting of pure cacao. The options are endless!
- 3½ oz dark chocolate (60% cacao or above)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, yolks and whites separated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of agave syrup for a sweeter mousse, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Using a double boiler, melt chocolate.
- Beat egg whites in an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, until they form firm peaks.
- Lightly whisk yolks. Add melted chocolate and agave, if using, and mix well.
- Incorporate egg whites to chocolate mixture gradually, until well combined.
- Pour chocolate mousse mixture into 2 separate ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a high-sided baking tray. Fill tray with water until water level reaches halfway up ramekins.
- Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until cooked through and toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.